Count György Andrássy was born on 5th February 1797 from the marriage of Count István Andrássy and Countess Mária Festetich. He played a significant role in the political public life of Hungary before 1848. He was member of the Hungarian Table of Magnates as a Conservative.
At the national assembly of 1825-27 as the delegate of Gömör County the Count supported the patriotic ambitions of István Széchenyi.
After the establishment of the National Academy of Sciences, Count György Andrássy was appointed as Director of the institute. He proudly remained in office until his death and in 1833 the National Academy of Sciences awarded him honorary membership.
He actively lobbied to put bridge building on the agenda of the national assembly in 1835, and in 1836 Article 26 decided on the construction of the Chain Bridge connecting Pest with Buda.
He married Countess Franciska Königsegg-Aulendorf.
Franz Josef convened the extended Imperial Council in 1860. György Andrássy was also one of the members of the Council. In 1863 following György Apponyi he became the judge of the royal court. In 1867 he was awarded cornopean title.
Until the very end he remained loyal to his principles and to the matters of his nation and homeland. He was generally esteemed due to the steadiness of his character, his patriotic aspirations and generosity. The mansion in Tarcal and surrounding areas were handed down after his death to his son, Count Dénes Andrássy, who served as a draftsman at the Chancellery. In 1866 he married Franciska Hablawetz, the daughter of a Viennese musical director called Ferenc Hablawetz. Andrássy abandoned political life; he lived in Graz and in Döbling.
He was keen on the Hungarian political events and his generous charity activity also included public institutions in Hungary. He established numerous foundations together with his wife.
He was member of the Board of Directors of the National Academy of Sciences; he was also honorary member of the Petőfi Association and the chairman of the Hungarian Heraldry and Genealogy Association.
His wife died in 1904. He raised a mausoleum to her memory in Krasznahorka. As they had no descendants, according to our knowledge Count Dénes Andrássy is the last male descendant of the Hosszúrét Andrássy side. He died on 7th March 1913 in Palermo, Sicily. He was put to rest next to his much loved wife at the pompous mausoleum in Krasznahorkaváralja.
The 500-meter-long cellar located beneath the building of Andrássy Rezidencia Wine & Spa***** was built in the 15th century, which is still in use.
Andrássy Mansion, an aristocratic manor house was built in Baroque style in the 18th century. According to the census carried out in 1753 it was owned by Count Ferenc Károlyi. The country house was purchased by the Andrássy Family in the 1830s and it went through major reconstruction. It was owned by György Andrássy, and later on by his heir, Dénes Andrássy. Their family and their descendants lived in the building until the nationalization taking place after WW2.
Andrássy Rezidencia Wine & Spa***** was opened on 16th May 2008.